Pages

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Carlsbad Caverns








Carlsbad Caverns National Park is in southern New Mexico. It was one of my travel destinations because they have a cafeteria over 700 feet below the ground. They started having the cafeteria way back when the only way to get down there, and back up again, was to walk. People had to fortify themselves with some food and fluid for the trip back up to the surface. Human beings had to cart the food down there, and had to cart the waste up. Once the government put in elevators, the Park Service wanted to remove the cafeteria since it wasn't a natural part of the cave environment, and it was no longer needed by the patrons. They still want to discontinue it, but lots of people have objected to their congress persons, and so far, the cafeteria is still there. The top picture is of me and my brother having a snack in the cafeteria. I wanted to experience the cave, but I also wanted to experience the cafeteria, and now I have.

Kenny and I are spending the night in Alamogordo, NM